The Annual October - November 2020 photography contest is starting.
It is time for a call out to all that take pictures of epiphyllums. I'm guessing that includes all of us epiphyllum growers and a few that just enjoy the blooms.
Your epis showed their best in late spring, take a photograph of them. I know a number of you used your camera to capture some pictures and if you are a member you are eligible to enter them into our photography contest.
This year because of COVID-19 we will be using the internet as a vehicle for our photography contest.
This is the countdown to the date photographs must be submitted (9 October 2020) . The contest judging starts the 2nd Wednesday in October and runs through the 1st Wednesday in November. The results will be displayed the following week.
Click for Virtual Contest Rules.
Click for review your Photographic Rights when submitting photographs.
When sending your photographs please use your normal email provider and attaching your photographs. Ensure the total size of each email is less than 8 megs. Use photocontest@SDEpis.org when submitting your photographs.
Tips for taking flower pictures
Make sure your background adds to and does not distract from your main subject.
Minimizing or eliminating distractions in the background is not that hard to achieve. You can accomplish this easily by using flash photography in the late evening or by moving it to an uncluttered area prior to taking a picture. You can also just place a sheet of dark paper behind it.
My favorite way is to use a car window sun shade. The cloth ones with a metal frame (example) are silver on one side and black on the other. They are lightweight enough that I use wooden cloth's pins to clip them to an epi branch to hold them in place behind the bloom.
The best time for pictures is always in the the morning or evening.
Specific Contest rules
- Single flower
- Epi Art
Awards and information:
- Ribbons (Blue-1st, Red-2nd, White-3rd), and honorable mention will be awarded in the Single Bloom, Multi-Bloom and Epi Art categories.
- Ribbons (Blue) be awarded for “Peoples' Choice” and “Judges’ Choice”.
- Honorable Mention will be awarded to Miscellaneous
- All categories will be legible for Peoples Choice and best in Show awards.
- Winning photographs will be published in Epi News, Society’s website, and may be used in the Society’s social media and promotional material.
- First place winners of the Single and Multi-flower categories will also be featured as a cover photograph of Epi News.
- For more information and to view 2020 contest entries when they are posted click here .
- To view 2019 winning photographs click here .